Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Take one belief of Calvinism, Deism, or Unitarianism and identify it as a belief you share.  Explain why.  You can find the doctrine of each faith in the various articles linked to in the "About This Week" essay.  Discuss the belief of others, not just agreeing with them, but asking pointed questions which get them to think about and consider their belief more carefully.  Remember, it isn't your job here to change someones mind.  It is to get them to think.

Steve

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Alex Chenault
I am going to chose Calvinism as a religion that I share a belief with. The other two just don't seem to fit with what I believe. While Calvinism doesn't either, it is closer than the other two. Calvinism has the foundation of one God and that he is in control. Deism rejects the belief that God has control over everyday matters. I believe that God is in full control. While he does give us free will to do what we please, I believe that he could control any one of us if he wanted to. I chose not to choose Unitarianism because it rejects the Trinity. We as Christians believe that the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit are three different things that make up the Trinity. While they are all a part of God we don't believe that they are God like the Unitarians. So with that being said I think Calvinism was the best fit for me to chose a similar belief with.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Erin Edwards
I chose Unitarianism as a belief I share. The reason I chose this belief is because it seems to be the closest to what I actually believe, however it is not. I did not choose Calvinism because I do not believe that we must follow steps in order to be welcomed into Heaven. When we ask for forgiveness and let God into our lives and our heart that is when we are welcomed into Heaven. I did not choose Deism because they do not think that God is in control of our lives, where as I believe that God is in everything and is every where.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Jeromy Jones
Alex-In you consideration of Calvinism, did you consider the fact that Calvinists believe the sacrifice of Jesus was not for all men? They feel his sacrifice was only for a few chosen people. I would have to disagree with the asssumption, and go by the Bible which says: "God gave his only begotten Son, so man shall be forgiven." It does not say one man over another.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Jeromy Jones
Of the three I would have to say I most agree with Deism. I belive there is a single God who created the universe. Deists believe God created the Universe with a purpose in mind, which I also agree with. Where things begin to change for me is that Deists do not belive that God interferes in our lives. While I believe we were created with free will, it is absurd to think He would have created all of this simply to sit back and watch. I cannot agree with Calvinism, because it holds that we do not get into heaven based on our actions, and that the sacrifice of Jesus was limited to certain people. I also cannot agree with Unitarianism, because it rejects Jesus' divinity, and thus the Holy Trinity.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Kelsey Glasco
Instead of picking just one belief, I found that there is at least one thing listed from all three of them that I agree with.  With Calvinism, I share the same belief that there is one God and that he is the foundation of everything. With Deism, I belief that God is the creator of everything and that everything created has a reason behind it.  With Unitarianism, this belief is also monotheistic and they believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ which I also believe in.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Kelsey Glasco
Erin - What is it about Unitarianism that you believe in?  You did not really specify a particular belief, so I was just curious.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Emmanuel Ihejirika
The religion which I can relate belief with most of the three is Calvinism. In that, worshiping God as the supreme being. Also, “irresistible grace”, in which the holy spirit and acceptance of the   God provides a saving grace, from which a sinner may be saved, I can relate to. They believe that all people are sinners and it is within our power to repent. However a difference of opinion, comes with the belief that the saved person is chosen rather than it being a capable of all faithful people. It emphasizes self-reliance to an extent- in light of salvation.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Anna Olihnenco
By perusing a couple of writings on each of the beliefs--Calvinism, Unitarianism, and Deism--I've concluded that though neither one these denominations adequately define my religious conviction, out of the three Calvinism most closely parallels my own opinions. Deism contrasts my beliefs most significantly because of its assertion that God does not intervene in human affairs or interrupt the natural laws of the universe. This system of beliefs does not source any of its doctrine in holy books or religious authority, rather it claims that the existence of God can be derived purely by reason and through observation of the natural world. Alternatively, Unitarianism is a belief that denies the Trinity, the deity of Christ, the personhood of the Holy Spirit, eternal punishment, and the vicarious atonement of Jesus. In addition to these doctoral fundamentals, the Unitarian Church also asserts that human reason and experience should be applied as the final determinant of spiritual truth and that Jesus became the Son of God at His baptism (http://carm.org/what-unitarianism). These beliefs are, in fact, inconsistent with my religious views. Though I do not agree with the Calvinists's doctrine of predestination because I have confidence in the fact that God, though capable of controlling people as with a bridle, has given us free will in our thoughts and actions. At appointed times, He chooses to place us in circumstances where we are able to see His power and love more clearly than when we are going about our daily lives; however, God does not influence us like a puppeteer playing with the strings of his puppets. Even with that doctoral incongruence Calvinism most closely mirrors my beliefs in the following elements: the Trinity, the full divinity of Christ, the authority of the Bible as the Word of God, salvation of faith not works, and the full redemptive power of the sacrifice of Jesus.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Anna Olihnenco
Kelsey, would you agree that the beliefs that you expressed as ones corresponding with in all three of the religious movements can all be found within Calvinism?

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Sharice
I choose Calvinism becuase that seemed to be the closes one to wat I believe in. I picked it because believe in one god and that he rule over everything. I dont feel as though I can really relate to Deism and Unitarianism. I feel this way because Deism does not believe that god interferes with our life. And with Unitarianism because it rejects the trinity.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Alex Chenault
Jeromy, I must have overlooked that aspect of Calvinism. Thanks for pointing it out to me. You are exactly right, in John 3:16 the bible says god gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him shall have everlasting life. Thanks for the comment.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

Alex Smith
This question is somewhat complicated because these different types of religions have some significance between each other but don't totally agree one hundred percent.  Overall, I believe Unitarianism is the closest thing to what I believe in, which is Christianity.  When I read about unitarianism, they believe that the Bible is an important literature but they don't believe it's the most important scipture for their beliefs.  There are some unitarians out there that still call themselves Christians but only about twenty percent of them are left.  Unitarian's, I believe, are the closet thing to believing in what Christians believe in.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part B:

panpan2523
Converse water proof shoes are a sure way to beat the wet weather and forge ahead.The converse water proof puncture resistant shoe is built with water proof full grain leather upper-a combination of Tailex. Converse Star guard water proof membrane can keep your feet dry, with removable EVA cushion insert,chuck taylor all star converse history  dual density Converse Athlete traction rubber out sole for better grip during slippery wet conditions. With such superior technology packed into a shoe, it is possible for you to explore the unknown terrain a la Indiana Jones or simply walk the dog unmindful of the weather!