Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

What can you, as a class agree on in terms of spiritual belief?

Your job this week is to begin the discussion by posting a personal spiritual or religious belief you think almost everyone in the class shares.  Take at least a few sentences to explain why you hold the belief you profess.

Anyone in the class then has the right to post saying they don't share your belief.  They do not have to say why, as I don't want to start a fight about which beliefs are right and which are wrong.  Instead, I want the class to search for a set of spiritual beliefs on which they can come to consensus.

The idea is to put Jefferson's idea that religion can be profitably discussed in the public sphere to the test (See the Virginia Statue of Religious Freedomto review this idea). In particular, re-read and think about this quote:

"...truth is great and will prevail if left to herself, that she is the proper and sufficient antagonist to error, and has nothing to fear from the conflict, unless by human interposition disarmed of her natural weapons, free argument and debate, errors ceasing to be dangerous when it is permitted freely to contradict them: ..."

If Jefferson is right, we may not come to consensus, but you should learn from the discussion and by listening and thinking about the beliefs of others.  Moreover, there are spiritual beliefs which are shared by most, if not all citizens.  See if you can ferret them out.  There is extra credit for the discussion involved for those who go through and list those beliefs no one has vetoed, and there's extra-credit for posting a belief which no one vetoes and to which the class, in consensus agrees.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Alex Chenault
I am the first this week. Yay! I believe that everyone in here or at least 95% of my fellow classmates are monotheistic. That means that you have belief in only one God. I have this belief because I was brought up a Christian and believe that the only way to see the Father is through the Son, Jesus. I am excited to see what the rest of you have to say!

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Erin Edwards
I think a similar belief that everyone shares is that they believe or have faith in a God. Not necessarily the Christian God, but any God that is among the God's of different religions. I feel that this is a similar belief because everyone needs to have faith in something. I choose to believe in the Christian God because that is the way I was brought up and he is the God that I have built my relationship with.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Jeromy
I can already see a clear trend in our class, as can be expected from the fact that our major religion is the Christian faith; and our next two major religions are also built around essentially the same God. Lets try to take it a step further beyond whether or not there is a higher power. I beieve that most of us will agree that there is some form of afterlife, be it heaven, hell, reincarnation, etc. I too have been brought up under the Christian faith, and therefore believe there is a heaven or a hell awaiting each of us after we die. I can almost gaurantee not everyone has the same idea of heaven as I do, or even believes there is one waiting for us.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Almira
I think we all believe in one god regardless of the religion we are. I was raised as muslin, going to the mosque with my grandparents and praying to god.  A lot of my friends were christen and some even orthodox but I have never seen any difference in us.  I think that by believing the fact that there is an afterlife helps us be a good person daily.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Kelsey Glasco
I see that so far the class has reached a consensus of our spiritual beliefs.  I too believe that everyone believes in one God and that the popular religion is Christian.  I think that the Christian religion is the most popular because most other religions come from other cultures and religious backgrounds that have been around for years.  I also believe that there is a Heaven and a Hell and that if you are a believer or nonbeliever you are destined to live an eternal life in either one of those places.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Emmanuel Ihejirika
One belief I think we may all share, is having sacred regard for scripture or a religious text (such as the bible, vedas, or quran). I was raised under Christian faith, and within the bible are such stories as the ten commandments, Noahs Ark, and the story of Christ and resurrection, that have stood through centuries and are divine belief. Through these texts, we accept ideas of revelation, miracles, and the existence of a greater being to inspire them.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Anna Olihnenco
This post was updated on .
As noted by one of my classmates, there is definitely a clear trend that has emerged early on in the discussion. So far the consensual beliefs expressed have been those of a monotheistic origin. I do not know if this is taking this discussion further, but I would like to narrow it down by saying that most of us have religious views sourcing at one of the Abrahamic religions--Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. These are faiths that identify their spiritual traditions with Abraham. I am Jewish, and like the majority of you, believe in an afterlife (both heaven and hell) and a transcendent Creator who is the author of a perfect moral code. In addition, I believe that it is not by works that we are saved and go into a pleasant eternity in the presence of God, but through faith in and acceptance of salvation from Christ who is the Savior of all mankind. Though works play an integral part in demonstrating your devotion to and are an expression of your love for God, they are not what will get you to heaven.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Sharice
I agree with you about this I am also a christian so I feel the same as you do.

This is true. It is so many things that cant be explained so by having faith you kind of get some kind of answer to things that science cant explain.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Sharice
I like alot of others in the class believe that there is one god. I have the belief in one good because that is how i was raised. But I feel as though no matter what religion you believe in they all have similar things in common. For the most part I feel as though everyone is just worshipping the same god but in different ways. Everyone just how their own way of interpreting the same things.

Re: Week Twelve, Discussion Starter, Part A:

Alex Smith
I beieve that everyone in our class has agreed that most of us believe in only one God.  I think this because somewhere in everybodies post that I have read had something to do with believing in a God so my guess would be that they only mean one.  I won't say that everyone believes in Jesus though because he is more of a Christianity figure than anything else.