Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

SteveBrandon
Administrator
In one part of your blog post for this week, you are figuring out which personal and civic virtues are important for you and writing short descriptions of them.  In the second part of the class forum discussion this week, I want you to discuss the subject of civic virtue and civic duty.  In specific, here think of what we owe the government when we distagree with them.  Be thinking here of the pieces by Garrison, Thoreau on Brown and Civil Disobedience, and the other Abolitionists.  Why do you think civic virtue was such an important topic of the early Founders, the Revolution, and Early Republic?  In your discussion, think about and discuss these questions:

What responsibilities do we have as citizens to the United States government?
What civic duties do we have in terms of our local communities?
What public projects--think of Franklin's projects in the last third of the Autobiography--need doing in Virginia, Richmond, or at Reynolds?  Are any of the tactics used the Romantics still useful in bringing about the change you think needs to be put in place?  What about Franklin's ideas about public works projects?
What civic virtues do you think are essential to the social well being of American society?

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Alex Chenault
I think we as Americans owe the government two things other than taxes. First and foremost we owe the government the time to become educated about how things work and who the candidates are and what they stand for. Secondly we owe them the time it takes to go and vote. What I am afraid of is that many Americans go out and vote and have no idea who they have elected and what that person will try to turn this country into. Our local governments are probably more important than our federal government. Our senators and representatives are the ones who speak for us on the national level. It is imperative that we choose good people who will do what is best for us as a whole. I think one of the best public projects we can do is take care of our surroundings at these areas. I look in the restrooms at Reynolds and various other public restrooms and see graffiti and other hate speech and think to myself, where are these people morals? Morality is one of the best things that all Americans have. I have noticed lately that many of us choose not to use them. If we just have a small bit of consideration for others I think the world would be a much better place to live. I think the most important civic duty we have is is being educated about politics. Most people aren't interested in politics and don't think about the millions of people who died for our right to vote. It it very important for us to know who we are voting for and what that person's ideals are so we avoid the threat to American democracy.

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Rachel Crosby
I aso think as americans we owe it to the government to become educated on the ageendas that each politician has. We need to know what they stand for and know what they plan to do on each of the items that is on the ticket. We need to know if what they plan to do is what we would do. More importantly we need to know what we would do. The politician si supposed to be representing what the citizens would want to do in any given situation, we need to make sure we know the people we are voting for would be doing just that. I think this is especially true at a local level. he local governments are responsible for what is being done in our schools and what our children are being taught. Our local communities are where we live and we need to make sure that we are doing everything we can to safeguard our way of life. I think that Tranquility is a civic virtue that needs to be addressed in America. We need to calm down and slow down. Everyone and everything is moving so fast and stress levels are so high that it seems everyone is on the point of exploding. We need to learn to be a more peaceful society. Justice is also a virtue that needs to be adressed in society. People need to be held acountable for what they are doing. People need to realize they can not take justice into their own hands and the law needs to make sure justice is served in the way that is appropriate for the situation.

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Jeromy
I have become quite dissatisfied with our federal government and the way it is run, despite which party is in control. For this reason I feel we owe very little to our federal government, and have been giving them much more than they are owed for far too long. On the other hand I do feel we have an obligation to our own states' governments. These are the people that care about us. These local elections and votes on ballot initiatives are the small parts that come together to build the whole of the government. People do not seem to care much about local elections or ballot initiatives, however, and only seem to be political every four years. We owe it to our states and communities to become informed and get out there and cast our votes for what we think should be going on, because if we do not then the people you disagree with that actually took the time to vote are always going to win. The idea of community service has been lost to our culture, unless it is court mandated. This is an issue in it of itself. We now perceive community service as a punishment rather than a duty. If people would simply volunteer in their local areas, for clean up or even watching a neighbors child so they can go to work, we would see a spectacular change in our communities. One of the most lacking virtues in our society is caring. We simply do not care for others the way we should. In most cases we are looking out for number one, and many times at the expense of others. Apathy has become rampant in our culture; apathy towards the government, towards higher learning, towards caring for others. Society cannot function for the individual, we have to start considering that our actions have ramifications on the rest of our society, that includes the act of doing nothing.

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Erin Edwards
One of the more important, if not the most important responsibilities we have as citizens of the United States is to vote. If we do not vote we are not exercising our rights as citizens. I also feel as citizens we should voice our opinions to the government about things we do not agree with or that we feel need to be improved.
Some civic duties that I feel are very important are that we should report any crimes or wrong doings. We as citizens should not commit crimes either, we all need to have the common goal to keep our nation as safe as possible.
A public project that I feel needs to take place is to clean up downtown Richmond. I feel that we need to take pride in the awesome city that we have. It’s so very historic and there are so many neat areas that could be cleaned up.

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Kelsey Glasco
Since I do not know a lot about political issues or pay attention to the news, I guess I would have to agree with Alex and say that one major responsibility that we owe to our government is to go out and vote when there is an election.  The people who can vote are responsible for the people who end up in our government, so we might as well vote for who we think would be the best candidate.  I think that recycling and picking up trash would be good public projects and civic duties that we can do to make our community a lot better.  Our air would be a lot cleaner and it would also keep animals from dying because they wouldn't be eating trash off the side of the road or get stuck in plastic bottle holders.  I think that no matter what day in age we are in, we can apply any tactics from other ages to make our world a better place to live in.  As I said previously, voting and community service are two very important things that we as Americans can do to provide social well being to everyone.

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Sharice
I agree with what you are saying. People always complain about the government and dont like the laws that are being passed. But if your not voting for the candidate that you like and who will work towards the things that you belive in than you cant complain. If you havent done your part by voting you shouldnt complain because you didnt try to elect the person that you wanted.

This is very true. Most people dont listen to what the candidate is saying they are going to do. They just focus on voting for the person that they thinking everyone else is voting for. You shouldnt base your opinion on what everyone else is going to do. You need to know what the candidate has to offer and base your opinion on how their decisions will effect you.

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Sharice
As citizen of the United States our responsibilities is to vote and put the right people in control of the country. We hold the power to elect who control our government. We cant really blame the government when the economy is not doing good and when we dont like certain laws because we gave the people the power to do these things. Our local government is also very important. Most people only focus on electing the President. The local government effects your life just as the federal government does. A good public project would be doing more to stop crime. We need to stop it from happening all together by having programs that help childrent can be in that teach them to make better decisions. Civic virtues that I think are essential to the social well being of American society is just to respect others and help others when ever you can.

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Emmanuel Ihejirika
Just as people make up a a society, peace and order is necessary to maintain it. Civil virtue was emphasized as it is important for citizens to live by values that would support their communities and government. With encouragement of virtues, individuals would have understanding and helps build character that would go beyond civic duty- in turn, inspiring humane contributions such as those of Jefferson.
Among civic duties to our local communities, we vote, pay taxes, keep peace and order, and adhere to measures such as proper refuse disposal for the environment. Our duties to the government are things such as paying taxes, registering for the military, military support, adhering to law, and voting. I think that amongst public works projects most needed, are those that would support environmental conservation efforts. That which could some day be mandatory actions to battle global warming, could be taken seriously now as a precaution.
Civic virtues that are essential to the well being of our society are really all 13 to me. Especially humility.

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Lucy
Our responsibilities as citizens to the United States government are to defend the constitution, participate in democratic process, respect and obey federal, state, and local laws, respect the rights and beliefs, and opinion of others, and participate in our local communities. The civic duties we have in terms of our local communities are buying from locally owned businesses because when you buy/use the services of your local business it gives you the chance to get to know the local owners instead of an huge corporation which often tends to have parent companies and have more than one CEO of that specific corporation. Also, Buying/ use of local series tend to give back to charities of the community. I believe this is important because we should take care of our community first.  Our civic virtues that are essential to the social well being of American society are the rights we have as American citizens, naturalized citizenship being born in America and how as Americans we are part of a nation partly founded on republican liberalism. J sergeant is built for the community and is meant to give the public access to education. And I have noticed in this establishment is very oriented in helping students succeed.

Re: Week Ten Class Discussion: Part Two

Alex Smith
As citizens to the United States we must follow the government laws and abide by the Constitution.  Following the laws is only one part of being a citizen I think.  You must also have morals in your life too because just following the law doesn't make us all we can be.  We must keep peace within the community.  Don't cause any mischief around the neighborhood and try to help out with anything that might be happening in your community.  There is anything you can do for a public project.  I'm in scouts and we've had variations of projects from landscaping to building a baseball park.  I believe that the scout law is the virtues that we all need to live by to have a perfect and peaceful country.  These virtues are trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.