Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Due Sunday at Midnight.

Discuss what role Early American Literature you have read this semester has played in changing your thinking about American society and on the role the study of literature plays in helping to maintain and create individual lives and society.

As always, write with questions.

Steve

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Alex smith
Early American Literature has made me realize that there are many people who like to think for themselves and that believe in things that science can't prove.  It has been a very interesting, fun, and sometimes hard for me but overall it was a wonderful class to take and it has helped me read and write a lot better and easier.

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Almira Dedic
Early American Literature has made me realize that I am very lucky to be living in America. This is a great country to live and raise my children in. it has been a very interesting but fun class even thought I was very confused in the beginning but it was not bad. I liked the blog idea because it makes it nice to look at the whole semester in one spot. The class has helped me be a better reader and writer and I learned some interesting things on some of the big American writers which I would never read if I did not take this class.

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Sharice Morris
 St. John de Creveceour What is an American really got me thinking about what a American is. It got me to thinking about what an American is. Also reading about the first Thanksgiving really shows how things have changed in America. Most people dont even celebrate Thanksgiving like the pilgrams did. A lot of us have lost what the true meaning of a lot of holidays are. This class really opened me up to alot of new things and got me thinking in new ways.

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Erin Edwards
Early American literature has made me realize just how fortunate we are to live in America. This is because we are able to speak and write about anything we want and we have freedoms and rights as people. I have really enjoyed this class and how much it has made me think. This class has really helped me to open up and release my feelings about things that I do not really talk about much. It has been difficult at times with some of the writings that we have done, but I really like that it has made me think and dig further.

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Emmanuel Ihejirika
Learning early American Literature has changed my thinking in regards to American society, by heightening an awareness of civic responsibility and inspiring a sense of American pride through the teachings of history. To understand the background founding of America, is to gain new insight into our society today. We have had leaders, pioneers, and champions of revolt, to leave behind their stories. This course was not only a study of such literature and historical figures, but also offered a sort-of telescopic view from the perspective of the America of today. From that, we are able to build upon our lives using the ideas of those who wanted to inspire a tenacious society of virtuous people.

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Kelsey Glasco
It seems like Early American Literature has taught everyone what it truly means to be an American.  This is also what I have taken from the reading that we have done in this class.  I have learned to appreciate the rights that I have as an American and to appreciate the people who do not have these rights.  I have learned about a lot of writer's that I probably would not have heard of or read by choice.  I noticed that some of my beliefs are similar to theirs and I thought that was pretty cool.  I am glad I took this course because it really made me proud to be an American.

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Alex Chenault
Literature is very important. Early American literature came in a variety of different packages. The most important to me was the nonfiction literature that came out of that period that helped to shape our country and government. There were many bright minds that wrote many things during this era that helped to form my opinion about the literature. I believe that if we didn't have such good literature when we were forming our country then it wouldn't have endured everything that it has overcome.

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Jeromy Jones
The literature this semester has been both interesting and informative. I am walking away from this course feeling that I have gained a great deal; not necessarily just in knowledge but more in understanding of myself and who I want to become. We have discussed a plethora of different subjects, from religion to philosophical ideas of the sublime, and in each piece I found a little of myself. I discovered I share many of the same beliefs with some of our early leaders, scuh as Thomas Paine. I was even able to discover new aspects of religion that helped me to define how I view religion; as I have always found it difficult to express what I truly believed. It seems remarkable to me that I have been able to see my own views and opinions being expressed by some of the greatest minds in history. However, through their words I have been able to constuct a better understanding of who I ultimately want to be.

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Anna Olihnenco
This post was updated on .
Having spent the past sixteen weeks studying and reflecting upon some of the most influential American literature, I can walk away from the class and confidently proclaim that not only have a learned what it means to be an American, but I have also realized the makings of a dynamic individual. Now more than ever, I am aware that if life were tangible, it was not intended to be stored in a box for safe-keeping: life is meant to be explored and pushed to the outer limits. What I have extracted from the early American writers is that we are not put here to survive but to LIVE! History is written by those seize control of their own lives the elbow through the confines of conventions. An excerpt from Emerson's American Scholar Address is without a doubt the most appropriate note to a finish a semester on: "Books are the best of things, well used; abused, among the worst. What is the right use? What is the one end, which all means go to effect? They are for nothing but to inspire. I had better never see a book, than to be warped by its attraction clean out of my own orbit, and made a satellite instead of a system. The one thing in the world, of value, is the active soul. This every man is entitled to; this every man contains within him, although, in almost all men, obstructed, and as yet unborn. The soul active sees absolute truth; and utters truth, or creates."

Re: Week Sixteen: The Role of Literature

Lucy
Until this semester I didn't understand the importance of early American literature, I have learned this semester that without these authors the early beginnings of this nation could have been completely different. this class has truly enriched my life in many ways but one way in particular I have learn to to understand the significance of reflection of what I read, write, and even how my actions in life have an effect on others. I see American Society in a whole new light, in the fact we all thrive and learn from each other. To me the role of studying of literature is important because we learn for example Harriet Beecher Stowe  in Uncle Toms cabin showed us her life as a slave that in hopes these accounts would bring awareness to this problem in society for in hopes one day it will bring about change. I believe that of history is very important because it is how we become aware of current issues in society and like our founding fathers stressed the importance of debate I too, believe it to be necessary to discuss things we are aware of in society to make change. The words of each author that I have read this semester has given so much depth in how society can manifest through an individual. I am thankful for the new insight I have acquired from this class and hopefully 242 will be just as inspirational as 241.