Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Write a post about how you spend your Thanksgiving and how your experience of the holidays compares contrasts with two of the reading selections for the week.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Jeromy Jones
My Thanksgiving was a very traditional one. The only exception would be that I attended two Thanksgiving meals, one for each side of my family. The first was a nice, traditional meal with everyone sitting around a large table and no television playing in the background. In a way it was simliar to the Thanksgiving with the early Pilgrims and the Wampanoag people, as many different people came from all over Virginia to attend. We gathered around our meal and gave thanks before feasting. The only difference from the original would be that we did not have any deer and we most assuredly has some delicious pumpkin pie. The other Thanksgiving meal I attended was much more informal. Instead of a large dinner table, we gathered around the football game in the living room. The meals of both were a very similar assortment of ham, turkey, macaroni and cheese, devilled eggs, mashed potatoes, corn pudding, casserole, and delicious sweet rolls. This, I am sure, will be quite similar to many of the meals I will be having over the next week or so; there is nothing like Thansgiving leftovers.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Alex Chenault
I am fortunate enough to have multiple Thanksgivings every year. I have two with my girlfriend's family and one with mine. They are very traditional. We have all of our relatives, who live around here, and we sit around and talk and eat the typical Thanksgiving meal. It's a little different from the readings because we don't eat the same foods, like deer meat, and we all know each other. It is similar because we are all together and having a good time talking and spending time with each other. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Erin Edwards
Every year for Thanksgiving I have multiple family events, that now includes two more events since I have gotten engaged. On Thanksgiving day, my Fiance and I are with my family in Richmond. Usually, my mothers side of the family gets together for a Thanksgiving brunch which is very different from what we read this week. I really enjoy this tradition however, because it gives both of us something different to eat other than the traditional turkey. In the afternoon we are with my dad's side of the family and we eat the traditional turkey and potluck.

The Friday after Thanksgiving my Fiance and I leave to head to Pennsylvania, where his family is from. While in PA we have Thanksgiving with his fathers side and step moms side on Friday night and then Saturday night we spend with his mom and step father. All in all my Thanksgiving is a very traditional one, The best part about Thanksgiving however, is spending the time with our families. I really hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Kelsey Glasco
My Thanksgiving reminded me of the Thanksgiving meal that the Pilgrims had.  It was very traditional and we always give thanks before we dig in.  I try not to eat anything the whole day because we only have one meal and that usually takes place at my grandma's house.  This year we had Thanksgiving at my aunt's house which was a nice change.  I have such a big family that it is impossible to fit everyone at the same table, so the adults sit together at the big table and the cousins sit together at another.  I actually prefer it this way because we can have our own conversations about things that I am sure the adults would not care about.  Overall, I always have a wonderful time with my family at Thanksgiving because we all come together and have a great time.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Sharice
This year for Thanksgiving we had it at my aunts house. My family always switch locations for where we will be celebrating for the holidays so every year is a different place. I have a very large family so everyone was off doing their own things around the house. After we left my aunts house we went to my cousin house just to visit. I didnt eat again because I will still full from the first meal.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Sharice
My Thanksgiving was very similar to yours with one that everyone sat around and watched football.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Emmanuel Ihejirika
Thanksgiving for me was rather traditional. As the Iroquois, it was all about gathering to enjoy bonding with people- family, friends and our unknown "neighbors" to give thanks. We had a feast just as the pilgrims, except any hunting was done at the local Kroger. Though last year, I started including non-traditional dishes for variety. Just as the first thanksgiving, we celebrated for 3 days, in the sense of re-gathering for leftovers and games while family was in town. Luckily, they didn't have to endure the black friday chaos back then! I still have not caught up on sleep from that.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Lucy Roberts
This thanksgiving I had lunch at my parents then had dinner at my cousin amanda house and ate with her other side of the family. My thanksgiving was interesting because her brother, my cousin had
brought over chili with venison. almost recreating the first thanksgiving in which cuisine consisted of deer and corn. our thanks giving conversation sort mirrors the two sisters conversation in fanny fern's thanksgiving story because the theme was remembering great memories we had as a family.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Anna Olihnenco
The past couple of years my family has attended Thanksgiving dinner at my best friend's house. This year, however, we had our own family dinner prepared by my incredibly meticulous mother who sacrificed sleep in order to assemble the main dishes. Thursday, my mother spent most of the day cooking and preparing for the dinner (despite the fact that she cooked all night Wednesday), my father was out raking the leaves, and I babysat my little siblings up until the time it was time to set the table, which all the children did together. For the most part, our Thanksgiving dinner was just like any normal family dinner: no television, wholesome conversation, and phenomenal food. Although the overindulgence is atypical for our normal dinners. Upon completion of the clean up, my family gathered in the entertainment room and watched a movie. The most enjoyable aspect of that day was not having to go to school or work, but rather having the chance to sit back and truly relax for the first time in quite a while.

When compared to the Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving dinner on American soil, our family dinner did not mirror it in the diversity of the gathered company, however just like the Pilgrims we invested a substantial amount of effort and time in preparing for the dinner and spent the day thanking God for His ceaseless provision.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Almira Dedic
I am not an American but I have lived in America for twelve years. My family is not used to celebrating Thanksgiving but I can tell you that even thought we are not used to celebrate it we always have a traditional mail with the turkey at my mom’s house. This is one of my favorite holidays in the American culture because it brings the whole family together and that is my favorite part. In my culture family is very important and we try to spend a lot of time together especially nowadays with busy life we live.

Re: Week Fourteen: Discussion Starter, How did you spend your Thanksgiving?

Alex Smith
I spent my Thanksgiving break hunting mostly, did some assignments, and of course, ate with the family on Thanksgiving.  My thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter holidays are all spent with my family eating either dinner or lunch together.  My holidays remind me mostly of the story by Fanny Fern because it talks about how her family all ate together and had a fun time talking amongst themselves.  Now, my father hasn't passed away but my uncle did and it just doesn't feel the same without him anymore because he was a fun guy to be around and fun to talk to.  That's the story that reminds me most about my holidays.