Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

12

Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Use this thread for discussion among your Committee.  After this first week, there will be more serious discussions but, this first week, to get started, introduce yourself.

Let folks know something about yourself in terms of what your plans are for when you finish up the course or at Reynolds.  Where are you in your program of study?

Are you looking forward to the course?  It's OK if you aren't.  Many student's don't know how challenging and interesting Early American Literature can be, and many haven't had the joy of learning to slow down and enjoy reading for ideas and discussion instead of "having to get everything right."

One of the secrets to enjoying getting the most out of this course or, for that matter, any online class is getting to know the group you are in and letting them get to know you.  Think about what you want to know about your group, what you are wondering, and take time to answer these questions for your committee.

Over the course of the week, your job is to find at least two things you have in common with every member of your group.  These things you hold in common can't be you're going to Reynolds or you live in Richmond. Try to make as meaningful a set of connections as possible.

Maybe you went to the same high school?  Maybe you hate silly introductory exercises?  Maybe you have a secret passion for cupcakes, or you actually know the best place in Richmond for pizza?  It's up to you to find two connections with every member of your committee and to keep asking questions and providing answers until you have found them.  So?  Plan to visit the forum often over this first week.

One last rule: These connections don't have to be unique to you and one other member.  If everyone in your group shares a secret passion for pineapples--the Early American symbol of hospitality (Just think of what it cost to get a ripe pineapple to a table in the colonies.)--this counts as one connection for the whole group.

Get to writing, introducing yourself, and connecting.  This is a committee of correspondence after all.  Correspond.

Hint: Sharing phone numbers, texting, and IM information early may speed up this process, but you still have to post the connections here.  After all, I have to know you're in contact.

Alas, I grade silly introductory exercises, and this one counts around toward your class participation grade.

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Michael DeVeaux
Hello everyone, I'm Michael DeVeaux. I was born and raised in Stamford, Connecticut. I graduated in 1995 from Stamford High School. I was always interested in making money so I skipped college and went right to work. I acquired a outside sales position that allowed me to travel fulltime. I have travelled to various cities with about 44 states in the US. In 2001 I got sick of living out of a suitcase and moved back to Connecticut. In 2003 I moved here to Richmond to try something different. Richmond was definitely different from alot of places that I have been. I have never been able to understand how a city can have so much crime and so much opportunity. I worked a few delivery jobs and in 2005 I landed a job at UPS Supply Chain Solutions. I have been there ever since and living what I call the poor mans "good life". In 2007 I decided to attend Reynolds parttime because I have always felt that I left a degree behind. Three years later, I'm 5 classes away from my degree in Business Administration. I plan to transfer and get a degree in either management or finance. I don't have a plan to acquire a job with my degree, but it would be nice to look back and say I did it. I am very open to what the class has to offer. It already has a different feel than any other class that I've been in. We had to set up the blog and we have the 17th century committee going.This is definitely a ill approach, I mean ill in a happening way. If I haven't told you enough about me, I'm married with two children. Michael Jr is 3 and Olivia is 11 weeks. In my spare time I like to exercise, play poker, play chess, and watch sports. I am a sports fanatic. Bowling, basketball, golf, football and the rest except Nascar. If you can think of something dudes like to do, I probably like to do it too. Best of luck to everyone today, tomorrow, and forever.....

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Alex Chenault
Hello Class, My name is Alex and I graduated form Lee Davis High School in 2008. This is my 5th semester at Reynolds and I am nearly finished with my AAS in Criminal Justice. Once I am through here at Reynolds I plan to transfer to VCU to work on my Bachelors degree and then my Masters degree. In my spare time I enjoy watching or playing nearly every sport and riding my motorcycle. I took AP English in high school and thoroughly enjoyed it. We read many short stories, novels and poems my many early American authors. My favorite author to date is Michael Crichton. He wrote The Great Train Robbery, Jurassic Park, the hit TV show ER and many other novels that are incredibly hard to put down. Literature has always been an interesting subject to me and I am really looking forward to this class. I have taken many online classes before but I have never had one quite like this. I look forward to the challenge and I hope everyone does well. Thanks, Alex.

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Almira Dedic
Hello class, my name is Almira and I was born in Bosnia where I lived for twelve years until my parents decided to move to Germany (Berlin) where we lived for nine years.  In 1998 my parents decided that it would be better for us to come to America then to go back to Bosnia and so we did. Doing all this moving was hard but it gave me the opportunity to experience different cultures, meet a lot of people and learn three languages.  I am pursuing a degree in Business administration and planning on transferring to another collage to get my Bachelor’s degree. I have taken a lot of online classes at J sergeant and like it more than going to campus. This class looks very different from all of my other classes I have taken but I think it is very interesting the way professor Brandon has this set up. It definitely will be a great experience for me. Last semester I have taken women in literature and it was very interesting, we read some great stories and had some interesting discussions.
I work full time for Capital One and have two girls 8 years and 8 months old who keep me very busy at all times. I love spending time with my family, especially traveling with them. I am really looking forward to this class and good luck to everyone I think this is going to be an interesting class!   Almira

I agree with you, this is something I have never done before and I was a little scared at first, but as I started creating the blog it started get very interesting I think it is going to be a interesting class.

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Almira Dedic
Wow Michael, it looks like we are in the same situation working full time, going to school and have two kids. My baby is 8 months so I know how hard it is for you and your family. My husband is a big help and support to me but it is hard…good luck!

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Rachel Crosby
Hi Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence! My name is Rachel Crosby. I am very excited to get this class started. I have taken a lot of online classes previously but, like most of you, it seems this class will be slightly different. I am going to school full time for business administration and hope to continue on to one day get a PhD. I work full time at Mondial Assistance as an Assistance Coordinator. I have three kids, a 4 year old step son, a 3 year old daughter, and a 7 month old son. In my (limited) free time I enjoy reading, movies, and photography. I love to travel, especially internationally. I graduated from Atlee High School in 2000. I started school at VCU but then had to stop to work full time. In 2003 I moved to Fort Drum, New York (near canada) with the military. In 2008, I moved back to Virginia and decided to go back to school.

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Rachel Crosby
Almira and Michael, it seems we are all well aware of the challenges of juggling kids, work, and school.

 Almira, our babies are around the same age as my son, Jacson, will be 8 months old on September 5.

 Michael, my daughter, Grace, is 3 as well. When is Michael Jr’s birthday? Grace’s birthday is November 21, 2006.

Almira, I have also worked for Capital One in the past, before I moved to New York, What do you do there? I started on the phone and did collections, then switched to activations.

Alex, I intend to switch to VCU as well when I am done with my Associste degree. I want to get my Bachelors there because I started there 10 years ago and I feel like finally getting my bachelors there will make it feel like those years were not wasted. What are your reasons for choosing VCU? I also took AP English in high school. I think it was a great experience.

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

triece09
Hello everyone. My name is LaTriece Berry and i am 20 years old. This will be my third semester taking classes at J. Sargeant Reynolds but my first semester taking classes online at J. Sargeant reynolds. I graduated from Meadowbrook High School in 2009. I am majoring in Early Childhood Development and i would like to be either a early childhood teacher, kindergarden, or first grade teacher. Yes i am looking forward to this class i think it would help me out alot with what im majoring in. I was born in Richmond, VA. I am the youngest of two sisters and one brother.

Hey alex it seems that you and I are the only two who graduated from high School in the 2000's and  I agree with you I never took an online classes like this before it is different. I was actually nervous about this class at first but I do think this class will be fun and interesting.

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

triece09
Hi Rachael I notice that you graduated in the 2000's to. And I actually feel a little better. I thought I was going to be the youngest one in this class. And I see that you enjoy doing the same hobbies at me.

Things In Common

Alex Chenault
Hello Almira, I noticed we both work full time. Its tough going to school full time and working full time. Also, my mom works at capital one too. Such a small world.

Hello Michael, it seems we have full time work in common with everyone in our committee. I also enjoy sports, especially golf. In not very good just yet but I enjoy finding dozens of golf balls in the woods when Im looking for mine. Good luck!

LaTriece, yes I did graduated in the 2000’s as well. I graduated in 2000. I am 27. I can not believe it has been that long. It is great you want to be a teacher. In elementary school I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher as well. I hope that you are able to achieve your goal soon. I am the youngest as well, I have one older brother.

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Rachel Crosby
Alex and Almira, I very much enjoyed reading your blog's. I think it was very neat how we all wrote about America being full of opportunity. Alex, I would love to hear why you chose to copare America to England, as opposed to another third world country.

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Kelsey Glasco
Hey everyone I'm Kelsey! I graduated from Lee-Davis High School in 2009 so this is my second year at J. Sarge.  I am majoring in elementary education and I hope to become a second grade teacher.  I am taking this course because I have to take a 200 level english course and this one seemed more interesting than all of the others.  I am hoping to transfer to VCU after I finish this year.

Some things about me - I currently work at Victoria's Secret at Short Pump Mall and I babysit for 3 kids on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I have a dog named Missy, a cat named Skittles, and 2 baby turtles who I cannot come up with a name for.

I guess that is about all I can think of for now.  I look forward to seeing what this course has to offer!

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Rachel Crosby
kelsey, welcome to the class.....I too am going to transfer to vcu, i have two turtles as well. I have a box turtle named koopa and an African side neck named Little foot.  What kind of turtles do you have?

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Kelsey Glasco
Hey Rachel! What are you going to be majoring in at VCU?

To answer your question, my turtles are just baby water turtles.  I have had them for a little over a year and they have not grown much at all! I like the name Little Foot! I wish I would have come up with that because I can't seem to think of any names for mine!

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Nicki Carman
Hey guys,

My name is Tiffany, but I go by Nicki. I graduated from Hanover High in 2007 and spent a year at Christopher Newport University. My major there was Relationship counseling, but I've recently switched to marketing.  I work for American Indoor Karting, and my goal is to be a corporate sales representative for them. I really don't care much for Sarge, but I'm transferring to University of Richmond soon, so I'm trying to keep my eyes on that.

I love football, especially UM football (GO CANES!) and I like to play volleyball. I have a doggie named Daisy, and she's a bed hog. My favorite food is chocolate and I love to be on the boat. I'm not to fond of literature, but I'm hoping with the help of my group members I'll successfully make it through this course. If anyone is down to do the extra credit and explore all the stuff on the list, by all means let me know because I'd love to.

Oh! And my last name is Carman, incase you need to facebook me!

Re: Discussion: Pennsylvania Committee of Correspondence

Erin Edwards
Hi all!

My name is Erin Edwards. I am majoring in elementary education and I am taking this class for fulfill a credit. I have always enjoyed literature and English so I am hoping to get a lot out of this course. This is also the first internet corse for me so I am currently trying to get the hang of what I am supposed to do.

I graduated from Blessed Sacrament Huguenot in 2004 and have been in school on and off since, not really sure exactly what I wanted to do. I am now excited because I actually know. I am engaged and am currently planning my wedding for next May, which I am very excited about!

I look forward to getting to know everyone better and hopefully getting something meaningful out of this course.
12