Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Use this thread for discussion among your Committee.  After this first week, there will be more serious discussions but, this first week, to get started, introduce yourself.

Let folks know something about yourself in terms of what your plans are for when you finish up the course or at Reynolds.  Where are you in your program of study?

Are you looking forward to the course?  It's OK if you aren't.  Many student's don't know how challenging and interesting Early American Literature can be, and many haven't had the joy of learning to slow down and enjoy reading for ideas and discussion instead of "having to get everything right."

One of the secrets to enjoying getting the most out of this course or, for that matter, any online class is getting to know the group you are in and letting them get to know you.  Think about what you want to know about your group, what you are wondering, and take time to answer these questions for your committee.

Over the course of the week, your job is to find at least two things you have in common with every member of your group.  These things you hold in common can't be you're going to Reynolds or you live in Richmond. Try to make as meaningful a set of connections as possible.

Maybe you went to the same high school?  Maybe you hate silly introductory exercises?  Maybe you have a secret passion for cupcakes, or you actually know the best place in Richmond for pizza?  It's up to you to find two connections with every member of your committee and to keep asking questions and providing answers until you have found them.  So?  Plan to visit the forum often over this first week.

One last rule: These connections don't have to be unique to you and one other member.  If everyone in your group shares a secret passion for pineapples--the Early American symbol of hospitality (Just think of what it cost to get a ripe pineapple to a table in the colonies.)--this counts as one connection for the whole group.

Get to writing, introducing yourself, and connecting.  This is a committee of correspondence after all.  Correspond.

Hint: Sharing phone numbers, texting, and IM information early may speed up this process, but you still have to post the connections here.  After all, I have to know you're in contact.

Alas, I grade silly introductory exercises, and this one counts around toward your class participation grade.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Alex Smith
Hello everyone, my name is Alex Smith and I am 19 years old.  I graduated in 2009 from Patrick Henry High School.  This will be my third semester and my second online class.  I am trying to get a degree in business administration because all through high school I was in business classes and it was pretty easy to understand the content of it.  English is not my favorite subject but I do decently well in english because I feel I can write papers well enough.  And I need to take this course because its required.  My favorite sport is paintball and I try my best to exercise to stay physically and mentally fit.  I am very dedicated to my church and work a lot with my youth group.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Alex,

I suspect you will enjoy the section of the course dealing with early American religion and the role played by religion in the literature and lives of the founders and New Republic.  You might also consider taking your youth group to the reenactment of Patrick Henry's "Give me Liberty, or Give me Death" speech.  You'd get extra credit for the trip, and St. James' Church--the one that Church Hill here in Richmond is named after--does the reenactment every weekend through Labor Day and on special dates after.

Also, don't worry too much about English not being your favorite subject.  This lit course will be very different from many English classes.  I'm in the business to teach students how to best enjoy and use the literature in their lives, not teach students to be English graduate student scholars.  As a result, the class will have you writing about the topics the literature raises, not constructing repeated literary analysis of each piece we read.  As noted above, there's also excellent chances for extra-credit designed into the course, and I've even included audio files to make the reading easier to get through.

Steve
Stephen Brandon, PhD
Associate Professor, Composition and Rhetoric
J. Sargent Reynolds Community College
Richmond, VA 23221
[hidden email]

Often the accurate answer to a usage question begins, "It depends." And what
it depends on most often is where you are, who you are, who your listeners
or readers are, and what your purpose in speaking or writing is.
-Kenneth G. Wilson, usage writer (b. 1923)

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Alex Smith [via General Assembly Discussion Forum, Fall 2010] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone, my name is Alex Smith and I am 19 years old.  I graduated in 2009 from Patrick Henry High School.  This will be my third semester and my second online class.  I am trying to get a degree in business administration because all through high school I was in business classes and it was pretty easy to understand the content of it.  English is not my favorite subject but I do decently well in english because I feel I can write papers well enough.  And I need to take this course because its required.  My favorite sport is paintball and I try my best to exercise to stay physically and mentally fit.  I am very dedicated to my church and work a lot with my youth group.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Sabrina Smith
Hello all,

My name is Sabrina Smith. I am 31 years old and have an 8 year old daughter. My motivation is to finish

pursuing my education where I left off years ago. I made life choices that deferred my psychology

degree at VCU. I am taking this course as a requirement but I would also like to learn more about

American literature. I know that the course will be very challenging but I am willing to put in the work.

After this semester I have 5 classes left to finish my degree here at Reynolds. Please feel free to

contact me via email at any time because I am sure I will do the same throughout the course for

insight.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Sabrina Smith
Hi Alex,

I too have had a recent spark in exercise. I am trying hard to lose the few pounds that I have gained over the last several months. It is hard work but I have no other choice.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Alex Smith
Hello Sabrina,
I wish you the best of luck with trying to finish up your degree.  I have not taken a break from school yet, I came straight in from high school but I probably know how it is trying to start back up.  I feel like it'll be like exercising, it's easy to quite and hard to start back up again.  And good luck with trying to lose some weight, i've been trying for 4 years now and it hasn't worked out...yet.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Dan Pham
Hello Committee,

My name is Dan Pham. I am 23 Years old. I am a veteran that served in the USMC from 2005 to 2009. This is my 3rd semester at JSRCC. I am not a very big fan of the subject english. (Sorry, Mr. Brandon!) I will do my best to complete this course with a good grade. If I can be of some help in this class, the best way to contact me is through my email. I am glad to meet you all.

-Dan Pham

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Dan Pham
Hey Alex,

I am majoring in BA too! I never knew IT was part of the BA degree. Also, watching what you eat and dieting is what makes you lose the most weight. I have learned that from past experiences. Since I got out of active duty, I am a bit on the heavier side now. But you only live once, so enjoy it! That's my motto.

-Dan

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Dan Pham
Sabrina,

Isn't 25 credits the minimum amount of credits you need to transfer to VCU? I am trying to transfer there in the near future!

-Dan

Professor Brandon,
Thank you for the reply and for the extra credit opportunities.  How will I show proof that I did the extra credit?

Hey Dan,
I think it is a good tyhing your doing by coming to school after you got out of the military; my brother never did which I think he should have but that's his problem.  Anyways, good luck with your classes and thank you for the tips.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Alex,

To get credit for the extra-credit field trips, write a review with pictures of you on the extra-credit field trip. Focus the review on if you would recommend the experience to other students and on what you learned about the literature, authors, or time period. Post the review to your blog.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Alex Smith [via General Assembly Discussion Forum, Fall 2010] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Professor Brandon,
Thank you for the reply and for the extra credit opportunities.  How will I show proof that I did the extra credit?

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Alex Smith
okay thank you. I'll see what I can do to make that happen.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Aaron Walker
Hello fellow committee members.  Sorry I have a late start on here, but I should be catching up very soon.  This literature class is the last class I need to receive my AS in Business Admin.  I'm also taking a UNIX and Linux class this semester for fun and to give me a little more technical knowledge.  I'm planning on attending University of Richmond in the spring to work on my BS in Information Systems.  Being a technically oriented student, I find literature challenging because it can be interpreted so subjectively.  I prefer the cut-and-dry laws of physics to the arguments of what some inanimate object symbolizes in a short story.  That being said, I can appreciate writing as I can art or music and draw my own conclusions as to why it's good or bad (or why it's important that we learn it).  I'll do my best to work with each of you to provide some feedback on your work (going foward, at least).

A bit about me personally: Between working a 50+ hour full-time job and taking 10 credit hours this semester, I still find time to do many of my hobbies.  I live for food and love to cook.  I love trying new interational cuisine and still hang to my roots with some down home cookin'.  I also like bicycling and fixing/building bikes, camping, fishing, soccer, tennis, computers, playing guitar, and building guitar effects and amplifiers.

I just got back from camping in Crabtree Falls weekend, so I'll probably be posting some pics and details about the trip in the next couple weeks for my "getting back to nature" extra credit.

Oh, and the best pizza in Richmond is at Stuzzi in the Fan where 1 North Belmont used to be.  There was much hype about this restaurant prior to their opening but I'll give credit where credit is due. They make a mighty fine pie.  I highly recommend the wild mushroom pizza with fresh arugula on top.  Perfecto!

Alex, it is definetly like working out lol.. You don't always have the energy to do it but it is necessary for the end result.

Hello, Aaron Walker, my name is Alex Smith and I am in my second year of J. Sarge. I'm also studying business administration and hope to finish up by next year and transfer to Longwood University.  I will enjoy having you on my committee because you seem to have high energy in taking the class and I believe you will be exelent in helping others throughout the course.  I was in the Boy Scouts so we did a lot of camping and I loved it.  I don't do it too much anymore since i started college but am willing to go anytime I have the oportunity.  I might possibly take your advice on going to Stuzzi's pizza restaurant.

What's up Aaron! I'm Dan. Let me know if I can be of any help to you if you need it. Camping? How was that? I am a big fan of backpacking.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Dan and Aaron,

Remember, you can get extra credit for a walk or hike.  Plan a camping trip to the right place, and you could gain extra credit for it.  Either experience should give you additional insights into your self, Emerson, Thoreau, Romanticism and how all came together to create the attitudes and ideals which allowed the national parks system to flourish.

There is also extra credit for reading deeper into Thoreau and/or Emerson.

What's up Aaron! I'm Dan. Let me know if I can be of any help to you if you need it. Camping? How was that? I am a big fan of backpacking.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

aws2719
Hey Dan,

How did you like or feel in being in the Marine's?  I've always wanted to join the military but I'm not able to since I have cerebral palsy.

Re: Discussion: North Carolina Committee of Correspondence

Dan Pham
aws2719,

I loved the marines! It was one of the best experiences/times in my life! I am very proud to have serve my country and to have serve with a diverse group of americans.