Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Use this thread for discussion among your Committee.  After this first week, there will be more serious discussions but, this first week, to get started, introduce yourself.

Let folks know something about yourself in terms of what your plans are for when you finish up the course or at Reynolds.  Where are you in your program of study?

Are you looking forward to the course?  It's OK if you aren't.  Many student's don't know how challenging and interesting Early American Literature can be, and many haven't had the joy of learning to slow down and enjoy reading for ideas and discussion instead of "having to get everything right."

One of the secrets to enjoying getting the most out of this course or, for that matter, any online class is getting to know the group you are in and letting them get to know you.  Think about what you want to know about your group, what you are wondering, and take time to answer these questions for your committee.

Over the course of the week, your job is to find at least two things you have in common with every member of your group.  These things you hold in common can't be you're going to Reynolds or you live in Richmond. Try to make as meaningful a set of connections as possible.

Maybe you went to the same high school?  Maybe you hate silly introductory exercises?  Maybe you have a secret passion for cupcakes, or you actually know the best place in Richmond for pizza?  It's up to you to find two connections with every member of your committee and to keep asking questions and providing answers until you have found them.  So?  Plan to visit the forum often over this first week.

One last rule: These connections don't have to be unique to you and one other member.  If everyone in your group shares a secret passion for pineapples--the Early American symbol of hospitality (Just think of what it cost to get a ripe pineapple to a table in the colonies.)--this counts as one connection for the whole group.

Get to writing, introducing yourself, and connecting.  This is a committee of correspondence after all.  Correspond.

Hint: Sharing phone numbers, texting, and IM information early may speed up this process, but you still have to post the connections here.  After all, I have to know you're in contact.

Alas, I grade silly introductory exercises, and this one counts around toward your class participation grade.

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

Sharice Morris
Hello everyone my name is Sharice Morris. I am majoring in Business Adminstration. After I finish at J. Sargent Reynolds I plan on transferring but I have not decided on which school yet. I hope that one day I can open up my own business. I'm taking this class for one of my english requirements. I'm a little nervous about this class because english has never been one of my favorite subjects. This is different from any other online class I have taken but hopefully I will get the hang of all this soon.

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

Thiago Ogibowski
Hello everyone, my name is Thiago Ogibowski and this is my third semester at J Sargeant Reynolds. My first years at J Sargeant I went through the English program and took the ESL (English as Second Language) classes. I believe I'll graduate next Spring and consequently transfer to VCU or some other University.
This is my first online class and also, my first contact with the American Literature which probably makes it even harder. I'm 24 years old, I was born and raised in Brazil, more specific south of Brazil which is considered the "European part", as result my whole family is Italian. My first time in college was seven years ago, I started Law School but it didn't really attracted me that much. I was young and lost and decided to come to America to check with my own eyes what was the "American Dream" that everybody talked about. I absolutely love Richmond, it feels like a second home. Whenever I'm not at school and I'm probably at the gym or paying soccer. Indeed, Brazilians are crazy for soccer and I'm not too happy with the results from the World Cup. I wish good luck to everyone, specially my group and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Sharice,

You seem to be getting the handle on the class, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Welcome to the class.

Steve

Stephen Brandon, PhD
Associate Professor, Composition and Rhetoric
J. Sargent Reynolds Community College
Richmond, VA 23221
[hidden email]

Often the accurate answer to a usage question begins, "It depends." And what
it depends on most often is where you are, who you are, who your listeners
or readers are, and what your purpose in speaking or writing is.
-Kenneth G. Wilson, usage writer (b. 1923)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Sharice Morris [via General Assembly Discussion Forum, Fall 2010] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone my name is Sharice Morris. I am majoring in Business Adminstration. After I finish at J. Sargent Reynolds I plan on transferring but I have not decided on which school yet. I hope that one day I can open up my own business. I'm taking this class for one of my english requirements. I'm a little nervous about this class because english has never been one of my favorite subjects. This is different from any other online class I have taken but hopefully I will get the hang of all this soon.

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Thiago,

Welcome to the class and to America.  You've picked a great place to pick up the study of American lit.  As you will find, a number of the authors we will be reading have ties to Richmond and Virginia; so, not only can you read about someone like Edgar Allen Poe, you can take an extra-credit field trip to the Poe Museum here or head up to Charlottesville to visit the Ravens or his old dorm room at UVA.  When we read about John Smith and Pocahontas, you can visit Henrico just down the James or go to Jamestown.  I've taught early American lit at a number of places, and Richmond is one of the best places to take the course, because it can come so alive.

I'm looking forward to reading your piece on "What is an American?"

Steve

Stephen Brandon, PhD
Associate Professor, Composition and Rhetoric
J. Sargent Reynolds Community College
Richmond, VA 23221
[hidden email]

Often the accurate answer to a usage question begins, "It depends." And what
it depends on most often is where you are, who you are, who your listeners
or readers are, and what your purpose in speaking or writing is.
-Kenneth G. Wilson, usage writer (b. 1923)

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Thiago Ogibowski [via General Assembly Discussion Forum, Fall 2010] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone, my name is Thiago Ogibowski and this is my third in at J Sargeant Reynolds. My first years at J Sargeant I went through the English programa and took the ESL (English as Second Language) classes. I believe I'll graduate next Spring and consequently transfer to VCU or some other University.
[...]

Anna O.
Hello, everyone! My name is Anna Olihnenco. I am a Social Science major on a quest to graduate this coming spring and "transfer" to a university in Israel to earn my bachelor's in government, then head back to VA to earn my master's in law from UVA (that's the plan, feasibility is yet to be determined). My objective in all of this is to become employed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). I home schooled myself (using a video program) for five years before JSR, however this is my first official online class, so I am a little apprehensive when it comes down to it. To be honest, I am taking this course in order to fullfill JSR and UVA requirements. However, the sole reason for my choosing the online arena as my classroom is because this is the only 241 class taught by Dr. Brandon. I took 111 and 112 with him, and decided that since he knows my writing capabilites best (which may or may not be such a good thing sometimes), taking him for 241 would prove most beneficial... My primary intent for attending college is to well, learn, receive recognition for my academic achievements, and use that "ethos" as a backboard for my ideal career. I anticipate learning a lot in this new environment (new to me), and would like to encourage all of you to be extra diligent as this is obviously unlike a regular classroom. Best of luck!

Hey! I'm an imigrant myself -- moved to the US from eastern Europe 10 years ago. Wish you the best as you endeavor to learn in an online class (I'm slightly anxious myself). :)

Hey, Sharice! Do you have any ideas as to which university you would like to transfer to after JSR? How long have you been at this college? I can totally understand being fearful about an online class that hasn't exactly been your strong point, but as Dr. Brandon pointed out, you seem to be doing exceptionally already, seeing as you were the first in our committee to complete this part of the assignment. ;) Best of luck to you!

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Sharice, I've found that students who are the first to contribute to the online discussions almost universally do well in the course.

Anna, it's good to see you back as a student.  You can give the committee all the tricks involved in doing well in my courses and ideas on making the journey as easy as possible.  The only real difference between this and a face-to-face course is that you have to stay in communication with the course, your classmates, and me to succeed.  Write with any questions, do the assignments as they come up each week, and you'll do well in the course.  Most students come out with "A"s and "B"s.

I've found that those who have moved to the States bring a lot to an American literature class.  It's easy to take our traditions for granted or to forget just how fine a society was created by the founders and those who came after, especially when you've lived in America all your life.  Often, life-long American students gain a new appreciation  for the society by getting to view it through the eyes of those who've chosen to move here.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Anna O. [via General Assembly Discussion Forum, Fall 2010] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey, Sharice! Do you have any ideas as to which university you would like to transfer to after JSR? How long have you been at this college? I can totally understand being fearful about an online class that hasn't exactly been your strong point, but as Dr. Brandon pointed out, you seem to be doing exceptionally already, seeing as you were the first in our committee to complete this part of the assignment. ;) Best of luck to you!

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

Emmanuel Ihejirika
Hi everybody, Im am Emmanuel Ihejirika. I was born and raised in Richmond, VA. This will be my third semester here at Reynolds, and my area of study is social science, in hopes to transfer to VCU and major in Mass Communications. I am hoping for a career in world of broadcast journalism, as my background is actually in print media and theatre. English (minus Shakespeare) is my favorite subject, as I love to write. I am looking forward to this class, although I have not studied a lot of eight/nineteenth century American Literature. This will be my second online class. The first, I actually just completed this summer, so the nerves are behind me for the most part. It was just a matter of staying on top of everything. I especially enjoy not having to endure the infamous spotlight of last name pronunciation in the classroom! :) My last name comes from Nigerian descent. Unfortunately I have not connected with that side of the tree though. Good luck to all!

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

rinhar8753
Hi,

Nice to meet you Immanuel.  I am still trying to do my first blog/post/email to you and the rest.  This is my first semester at J Sargeant and first online class.  I am still trying to locate things on this website.  I am currently studying Social Sciences here.  My interests are camping and studying the Commitee of Correspondence.  Good Luck!

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Like most things, the website will make more sense as it is used, and I'll refer you to the different areas which you'll need.  Check the home page for announcements from me. Check the General Assembly tab anytime you need to communicate with the class or your committee, and check the "Assignment" tab and click on the weekly link for your weekly assignments.  Everything else is gravy.

Welcome to Reynolds.  It's a great college, and I suspect you're going to be impressed by your classmates and their work.  It looks as if you've landed, mostly by luck, into a good group.

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Rapeepan [via General Assembly Discussion Forum, Fall 2010] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Nice to meet you Immanuel.  I am still trying to do my first blog/post/email to you and the rest.  This is my first semester at J Sargeant and first online class.  I am still trying to locate things on this website.  I am currently studying Social Sciences here.  My interests are camping and studying the Commitee of Correspondence.  Good Luck!

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Emmanuel,

Welcome to the class.  I suspect you'll enjoy the reading dealing with the communication in Early America.  For instance, you'll read the autobiography of Ben Franklin, who helped to start many of the first presses in the colonies.  You'll read William Garrison, who ran a little newspaper/magazine which helped to end slavery, and you'll read folks like Fanny Fern, who was among a handful of women magazine writers who created mass media in America.  You'll also get to read a few of the first best sellers in America, "The New English Primer," "The American Crisis," etc.  In short, if you pay attention, you'll be getting some nice background for that transfer degree--stuff which can help you put the work you'll be doing later into a larger context.

Steve

Stephen Brandon, PhD
Associate Professor, Composition and Rhetoric
J. Sargent Reynolds Community College
Richmond, VA 23221
[hidden email]

Often the accurate answer to a usage question begins, "It depends." And what
it depends on most often is where you are, who you are, who your listeners
or readers are, and what your purpose in speaking or writing is.
-Kenneth G. Wilson, usage writer (b. 1923)

Hi everybody, Im am Emmanuel Ihejirika. I was born and raised in Richmond, VA. This will be my third semester here at Reynolds, and my area of study is social science, in hopes to transfer to VCU and major in Mass Communications. I am hoping for a career in world of broadcast journalism, as my background is actually in print media and theatre. English (minus Shakespeare) is my favorite subject, as I love to write. I am look forward to this class, although I have not studied a lot of American Literature. This is my second online class. I actually just completed the first this summer, so the nerves are behind me for the most part. It was just a matter of staying on top of everything. I especially enjoy not having to endure the infamous last name pronunciation spotlight in the classroom. My last name comes from Nigerian descent. Unfortunately I have not connected with that side of the tree though. Good luck to all!

I don't really know which school yet but I am considering UVA. This is my second year at J. Sargeant Reynolds. I should be graduating in the spring.

I am also interesting in reading your "What is an American" paper to see if America was everything that you thought it was going to be.

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

Thiago Ogibowski
Professor Brandon,

after taking HIS 121, I absolutely felt in love with the American History. As result, I've been to Jamestown already, although I'm willing to go back and earn some extra points from this trip.  Also, in my ESL classes I remember studying the life and the poems from Edgar Allen Poe, consequently going UVA could be a really good experience.

Best,

Thiago

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

Thiago Ogibowski
Oh gosh, you guys are putting way too much pressure on me right now. I absolutely will try to find the proper words to explain how my "American dream" is going so far.

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

Jeromy Jones
Hello everyone. My name is Jeromy Jones, this is my third year at J. Sarge, and I am majoring in business. I am planning on transferring to VCU after I get all of my credits, which will hopefully be by the end of the summer. I was born and raised right here in Richmond, and I can pretty much cannot wait until I can finally have the opportunity to travel around the world. I work part-time at a missionary school and pretty much devote all of my time to either working or school. I am taking this course, probably for the same reason as most of you, to gain the required credits for my degree. I am not too worried about this class, however, as I enjoy much of American literature and also enjoy writing. I am looking forward to an interesting semester with all of you.

Re: Discussion: New York Committee of Correspondence

Jeromy Jones
Hello Sharice. If you are considering a school here in Virginia, UVA is definitely one of the top picks. It is actully my first choice of schools because they have an excellent business program. Unfortunately for me they are a bit too expensive. But I wish you all the best in choosing the right school for you.