Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

12

Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Use this thread for discussion among your Committee.  After this first week, there will be more serious discussions but, this first week, to get started, introduce yourself.

Let folks know something about yourself in terms of what your plans are for when you finish up the course or at Reynolds.  Where are you in your program of study?

Are you looking forward to the course?  It's OK if you aren't.  Many student's don't know how challenging and interesting Early American Literature can be, and many haven't had the joy of learning to slow down and enjoy reading for ideas and discussion instead of "having to get everything right."

One of the secrets to enjoying getting the most out of this course or, for that matter, any online class is getting to know the group you are in and letting them get to know you.  Think about what you want to know about your group, what you are wondering, and take time to answer these questions for your committee.

Over the course of the week, your job is to find at least two things you have in common with every member of your group.  These things you hold in common can't be you're going to Reynolds or you live in Richmond. Try to make as meaningful a set of connections as possible.

Maybe you went to the same high school?  Maybe you hate silly introductory exercises?  Maybe you have a secret passion for cupcakes, or you actually know the best place in Richmond for pizza?  It's up to you to find two connections with every member of your committee and to keep asking questions and providing answers until you have found them.  So?  Plan to visit the forum often over this first week.

One last rule: These connections don't have to be unique to you and one other member.  If everyone in your group shares a secret passion for pineapples--the Early American symbol of hospitality (Just think of what it cost to get a ripe pineapple to a table in the colonies.)--this counts as one connection for the whole group.

Get to writing, introducing yourself, and connecting.  This is a committee of correspondence after all.  Correspond.

Hint: Sharing phone numbers, texting, and IM information early may speed up this process, but you still have to post the connections here.  After all, I have to know you're in contact.

Alas, I grade silly introductory exercises, and this one counts around toward your class participation grade.

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Andrew Harrington
Hello?

Don't really know how to start this thing, but I guess I just did so here goes.

My name is Andrew Harrington! I went to JR Tucker High school and graduated in 2005.  I started out as an engineering major, migrated to history, and now I am thinking of switching to Environmental Science.  With my history degree I was going to teach high school history(which I would love to do) but I am finding that getting a job in the current market is almost near impossible.  SO I am hoping the switch to environmental science will open up the job market for me as there are hundreds of job titles that go with environmental science.  As for this class I am not a big reader so the reading part of this class will probably kill me. I also have never blogged before so this class will break me into it for the first time.... lets hope I enjoy it. As for some personal stuff.... I live downtown, somewhere near the delicious Cuban restaurant Kuba Kuba and play soccer downtown regularly 3 nights a week.  Cuban food is delicious.

END

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Raleigh Kaye
Hey hey, I'm Raleigh.  I graduated from Godwin High in 09 and going into my second year at Sarge.  I'm currently working on transferring to another school (but don't ask me which one; I have no idea!) where I will go on to major in communications.  I am taking this class because I enjoy literature, reading, and writing.  I figured that American lit would be a lot easier to understand than British or World so that is my reasoning behind taking this class.  I've worked for Starbucks for two years and in a month or so will begin another job as a waitress for the once famous Celebrity Room Pizza. I could probably drink coffee and eat pizza every for every meal but that would be completely unhealthy! Anyhow, that's enough about me. I look forward to working with this group over the next 16 weeks!

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Andrew H
Pizza is ALWAYS good, I deliver for papa johns, never get sick of it.

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Raleigh,

Welcome to the course.  Since I've taught the Brithish literature survey and have training in Elizabethan literature from my master degree, I can assure you you've made a good decision.  Except for the very early, early American stuff, such as, the Puritans and John Smith and contact literature, most students have a much easier time with American lit than they do with the British lit prior to the Renaissance.  Notice how carefully I'm not saying, "American literature" is easy to understand.  There's a lot of distance in terms of time and culture between Poe, Jefferson, Smith, and you, and they read differently in the 17th, 18th, and 19th Centuries.  Having said this, most of the ideas from the lit we study are still part of society and culture, even if the words, style, and audiences have changed over time.  Part of what you'll learn is to slow down your pace of reading, as the literature used to be read at a slower pace.  Often it was read more than once, and it was read with others and discussed.

Sadly, there was no pizza in early America.  Pizza came back to the US was the soilders who served in WWII.  Coffee and coffee houses, however, were there with Jefferson when he was a student at William and Mary in Williamsburg and later served in the Virgina's General Assembly, both in Wiliamsburg and in Richmond.  In fact, there is a very cool reproduction of a colonial coffee house in Colonial Williamsburg.  If you are ever down, stop by and see.

Steve

Stephen Brandon, PhD
Associate Professor, Composition and Rhetoric
J. Sargent Reynolds Community College
Richmond, VA 23221
[hidden email]

Often the accurate answer to a usage question begins, "It depends." And what
it depends on most often is where you are, who you are, who your listeners
or readers are, and what your purpose in speaking or writing is.
-Kenneth G. Wilson, usage writer (b. 1923)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Raleigh Kaye [via General Assembly Discussion Forum, Fall 2010] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey hey, I'm Raleigh.  I graduated from Godwin High in 09 and going into my second year at Sarge.  I'm currently working on transferring to another school (but don't ask me which one; I have no idea!) where I will go on to major in communications.  I am taking this class because I enjoy literature, reading, and writing.  I figured that American lit would be a lot easier to understand than British or World so that is my reasoning behind taking this class.  I've worked for Starbucks for two years and in a month or so will begin another job as a waitress for the once famous Celebrity Room Pizza. I could probably drink coffee and eat pizza every for every meal but that would be completely unhealthy! Anyhow, that's enough about me. I look forward to working with this group over the next 16 weeks!

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Erin Edwards
Hi all!

My name is Erin Edwards. I am majoring in elementary education and I am taking this class for fulfill a credit. I have always enjoyed literature and English so I am hoping to get a lot out of this course. This is also the first internet corse for me so I am currently trying to get the hang of what I am supposed to do.

I graduated from Blessed Sacrament Huguenot in 2004 and have been in school on and off since, not really sure exactly what I wanted to do. I am now excited because I actually know. I am engaged and am currently planning my wedding for next May, which I am very excited about!

I look forward to getting to know everyone better and hopefully getting something meaningful out of this course.

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
Welcome to the class.

Internet learning turns out to be a good experience for you.  The real trick is to access the assignments each week, don't try to do them all at once, and check them off as you go.

This week setting up your blog and sharing your contact and consent information with me--all this can happen off the assignment's page for the week--are the essential steps.  Then read de Creveceour and post a short essay to your blog on "What is an American?"  The main point behind the reading this week is to begin complicating your take on the "American" in the Early American Literature title, and to help you gain some different perspectives on what being American meant during the time period we're reading in.

Congratulations on becoming engaged.  You'll enjoy reading Fanny Fern, an early magazine writer for women, who has some funny advice for brides and women.

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Erin Edwards [via General Assembly Discussion Forum, Fall 2010] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all!

My name is Erin Edwards. I am majoring in elementary education and I am taking this class for fulfill a credit. I have always enjoyed literature and English so I am hoping to get a lot out of this course. This is also the first internet corse for me so I am currently trying to get the hang of what I am supposed to do.

I graduated from Blessed Sacrament Huguenot in 2004 and have been in school on and off since, not really sure exactly what I wanted to do. I am now excited because I actually know. I am engaged and am currently planning my wedding for next May, which I am very excited about!

I look forward to getting to know everyone better and hopefully getting something meaningful out of this course.

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Kelsey Glasco
Hey everyone I'm Kelsey! I graduated from Lee-Davis High School in 2009 so this is my second year at J. Sarge.  I am majoring in elementary education and I hope to become a second grade teacher.  I am taking this course because I have to take a 200 level english course and this one seemed more interesting than all of the others.  I am hoping to transfer to VCU after I finish this year.

Some things about me - I currently work at Victoria's Secret at Short Pump Mall and I babysit for 3 kids on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I have a dog named Missy, a cat named Skittles, and 2 baby turtles who I cannot come up with a name for.

I guess that is about all I can think of for now.  I look forward to seeing what this course has to offer!

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Kelsey Glasco
Andrew,

My dad works for Papa John's too! How cool!

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Kelsey Glasco
Erin,

We both have the same major! What grade do you want to teach?

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Michelle Herndon
Hey Everyone!

My name is Michelle, close friends call me "meesh". I graduated from Freeman in 2008 and from there went to Longwood University. Unfortunately, Longwood was not the school for me so I came back home and decided to take classes here at J Sarge. This will be my third or fourth semester, I'm loosing track. I am following the Social Science degree and plan to achieve my associates while here. I'm taking this class to full fill my requirements and learn something new.

Some things about me:
I currently work as a server at Outback Steakhouse.
I want to move to Florida.
I love to travel.
My favorite color is red.
I love Italian food!

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Michelle Herndon
Andrew, do you play soccer at score?

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Lucy Roberts
hello everyone, My name is Lucy this is my first time taking an online class. I am 20 years old no children and in the liberal arts program. After I finish the program here I plan on attending VCU. I am looking forward to this course because I love literature of all types but i am nervous about navigating my way through my first online class.

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Raleigh Kaye
Michelle,

I want to move to Floirda tooo! It's so nice there!

Yea! I play at scor, mondays and weds.  Why do you ask?

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Erin Edwards
Kelsey,

That is awesome that you want to be a teacher as well! I want to teach either kindergarten or First grade. Not too sure which one yet.

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

SteveBrandon
Administrator
As a teacher, I can highly recommend the career.  You help your students achieve their dreams.  The work is always a challenge.  You help society grow and get to help cultivate the best of our society.  You get paid a living wage, and there is always work to do.  If I could think of a better profession, I'd be doing it.  I left one profession, which paid much, much better, and I've never looked back and regretted the decision.  It's good work.

i asked because i know a few people that play there too! a friend of mine Alex and his friend jeff maybe you know them!

I used to work at the Outback in Mechanicsville.  I was a hostess but I discovered that the restaurant business just wasn't for me!

Re: Discussion: Massachusetts Committee of Correspondence

Andrew H
 Michelle.... are you talking about Jeffery Patterson? He's one of my buddy's!
12